Training is offered by invitation only. We will contact you directly once we have received your application and all of your paperwork has been checked. You will then be put on our waitlist. We will notify you when a spot has opened up for you to start training. We accept candidates who already have their Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Title. If you apply with the CGC Title, it will shorten the amount of training required by Faithful Paws. If you would like to look into getting your CGC while you are waiting for a training class, please go to the AKC Canine Good Citizen website for more information.
Each human/pet team is evaluated individually. Teams in class will work on the same drills every week until the dog is ready to pass the CGC test. Once the instructor feels the training team is ready for evaluation, they are sent to our AKC evaluator for testing for the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certification.
If a primary and secondary handler have signed up, they must BOTH show up to all training classes and testing. Youth (under 18 years of age) handlers are limited in the facilities they are allowed to visit and must always be accompanied at all times by a parent, both in class and on visits.
Animals must never show aggression to humans or to other animals. All animals are screened during training. The handler and pet will be evaluated together. Some pets will not have the temperament appropriate for pet therapy.
We do not use reptiles or exotic animals. Dogs must pass the CGC (Canine Good Citizen) test and/or Temperament test. These tests are authorized and administered through the AKC (American Kennel Club). Cats and rabbits must pass Temperament testing. Pets must stay current on all vaccinations. Some of our members have more than one certified pet. Only a few facilities will allow us to bring more than one certified pet per handler. The limit is two pets per handler at these few facilities.
- Dogs must pass the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Test and/or a Temperament test to be certified.
- Cats and rabbits must pass a Temperament test to be certified.
The following 10 basic items make up the CGC test and will be practiced during our classes:
- Greets a friendly stranger
- Sits politely for petting
- Welcomes being groomed, brushed; allows paws, tail and ears to be handled
- Walks as directed on a loose leash
- Moves politely through a crowd
- Sits, lies down, and stays in place on command
- Comes when called
- Behaves politely around other dogs
- Reacts with confidence to distractions
- Can be left with a trusted person (3 minutes)
Usual obedience commands that dogs will be expected to obey:
- “Heel” “Sit” “Down” “Stay” “Come”
- Two additional commands we teach and use: “Watch Me” “Leave It”
Cleared to start volunteering
Once you have received your membership approval certification, you are cleared to start visiting and will receive an email with all pertinent information.